Saturday 1 October 2011

The sinking lure

Since my last post I have been meaning to post an update, but I've been lazy and everytime I started to write something else would distract me.

25th June 2011
I arrived back in the UK and had to go to a wedding in a sling. Then I booked an appointment to see my GP on Monday.

27th June 2011 - One week later
I went to see my GP for my 9.30am appointment, arrived early. Had to wait 45 minutes. She just referred me to the trauma clinic at the hospital, which I went to straight away. Arrived about 11. Had to wait a 1Hr 30minutes to see the doctor, two standard NHS waits in one morning. During the wait I couldn't help but notice that the nurses were checking me out, obviously I thought naughty things about what they might want and when one of them approached me I was quite excited. When she said "nice sling, where did you get it?" I almost jizzed my pants. Seriously. Turns out she was only using me to find out about the French sling I had, we flited a bit, and I was happy for her to use me for information to pass the time. Once I got called to see the doctor I was shown to a bay and the nurse closed the curtain and said the doctor would be right in. He wasn't right in. I waited for 10 minutes before I stuck my head out and asked if I had been forgotten about! About a minute later the doctor came in and started the assessment, he wanted another x-ray (which I didn't get a copy of) for the records, and to check I didn't have any shards of shoulder in the joint. The doctor didn't give me the x-ray, that was given to me by a stammering first year medical student who had been there for about 2 weeks. Good job it was only an x-ray I needed! He only messed it up once. After the doctor had finished assessing the x-ray and was satisfied that I was alright, he said I should see the onsite physio right away, as if I didn't see him then, the wait would be at least 3 weeks... So the doctor went off to find him. Now I know that the NHS aren't slackers, but the physio was just clocking off. At 12:30pm! Missed opportunity. The doctor told me I would be contacted about physio. He then told me about a shoulder clinic that the trauma clinic runs every Tuesday, and that I should go to the next available one. Turns out the next day one was full so I was booked in to the one on the 5th July! By now I was ready to leave, but before I left I asked for a sick note. 3-6 weeks. Jackpot. On the way out I had a quick chat with the nurses who were interested in my foreign sling, and told them how I would have to wait a week for the shoulder clinic. They were having none of it! Went straight to the receptionist and demanded that I be fit in the next day. Next day appointment! Yes please!

28th June 2011
Turns out the shoulder clinic was a massive waste of time, the doctor did show me an excercise to help strengthen my shoulder. Leaning over the table and swinging my arm like a pendulum.


Anyway the highlight of my time off was replaying Ocarina of Time for the first time in years and finding the sinking lure in the fishing game. I also realised that N64's look really bad on 32" TVs.

No comments:

Post a Comment